Installing Viber desktop on your Mac is pretty easy. Just like any other application, it takes just a few simple steps.
Before you start installing it on your computer, make sure you meet the system and hardware requirements. And yes, you must have Viber installed on your mobile first to be able to use Viber for Mac.
The minimum hardware requirements for desktop computers are: a dual core processor, 1 GB RAM, a microphone and speakers for voice calls, a webcam for video calls, and an AD2P compatible Bluetooth receiver for Bluetooth devices.
Viber for Mac will work on OSX 10.7 and above.
Viber for Mac is now compatible with OS X Yosemite. To install it, just redownload the installation files and drag Viber to your Application folder. When it asks you to replace or keep both, choose “replace” and it will work automatically.
If your desktop or laptop computer meets those system and hardware requirements, make sure you have one of the following Viber mobile versions prior to desktop registration to be able to use Viber desktop:
- Viber 3.0 for Android
- Viber 3.0 for iPhone
- Viber 2.4 for Blackberry
- Viber 2.2.3 for Windows Phone 8 (partly compatible, might encounter sync issues)
- Viber for Windows Phone 7, S40/S60 & Bada: (any Viber version is partly compatible, might encounter sync issues).
If system and hardware requirements are fulfilled, installation should just take a few minutes or less.
1. Download the installation file. You can download it from Viber’s official site using this link.
2. After downloading is done, simply drag Viber to your Application folder on the right.
3. To launch Viber, go to your Applications folder and double-click the Viber app. After launching you’ll get the Welcome screen. Hit “Yes” to continue.
After hitting “Yes” you’ll be asked for your phone number. Type in your phone number (without the country code) and click “Continue”.
You will receive a 4-digit access code on your Viber mobile app. Type it into the Activiation window on Viber desktop. Read and accept the Viber User License Agreement and click ‘Enter Viber’.
After completing the installation, Viber desktop will automatically sync your contacts with the contacts stored in your mobile Viber.
You’re ready for free communication via Mac!